Upcoming Contests & Events
- Lickskillet: Have the opportunity to sell your photos at this Lyndon House Sponsored Event. Saturday, October 24 from 10:00am – 5:00pm. More info at the meeting.
- Chuck Murphy’s show, Nature, Illustrated, is still up at the State Botanical Gardens.
Upcoming photo walks:
- Saturday, Sept 19 – We’ll be heading to a place that’s basically a ghost town about a 30-45 minute drive from Athens, Bostwick GA, for a mix of “rural” and “street” images. We’ll meet at the Wal-Mart on Epps Bridge at 7:30 a.m. and then head out together.
- Sunday Nov 1 – Panther Creek Falls is on most lists of Georgia “must see” waterfalls, so we’re going to spend a day hiking the trail and visiting the 4 waterfalls en route, on a day that’s close to the anticipated peak foliage season. We’ll meet at 7 a.m. in the Sandy Creek Nature Center Parking lot and drive up (about 1:20 each way), then spend the day hiking. The trail is described as “moderate” and good hiking shoes are recommended. You’ll want to bring lots of water and a lunch, since the trail is 7 miles round trip… it will be less intense than hiking straight through since we’ll stop to take pictures along the way, but it *is* still a long hike.
- Guild member Steve Binkley and a couple of friends are hosting a star party at Young Road Observatory October 5th through the 14th, and you are invited. Since the weather is too unpredictable to specify a particular night, you may come any night that is convenient for you and the weather looks promising. Please contact Steve the afternoon of the day you wish to come to get directions if necessary and verify that there are no problems for that night.
The observatory is located about a mile off highway 78 just over 20 miles from the Athens bypass. If you wish to check the location on Google maps or a satellite view, Steve’s address is 181 Young Road, Rayle. Please note that the address is 6 or 7 miles east of Lexington in Oglethorpe county and not in Rayle (Wilkes county). Steve may be contacted at email@example.com or 706-743-3682. Contact him any time if you have questions about the event. Bring your camera and try your hand at photographing the night sky. There’s plenty of room in the observing field and AC power is available. The observatory 14″ scope will also be operating for visual observing.
Paid Member’s Photo Contest with Cash Prizes!
Rules must be followed in order to be eligible:
- Open to 2015 Paid Members Only. You can pay at the beginning of the meeting
- Photographs have to be taken between June 1, 2015 and Sept. 8, 2015
- Up to two images per 2015-paid APG member
- Minimum size 5 x 7. No maximum size
- Framed or quick mounted on a plain white background — e.g. foam core, mounting board or poster board
- Any photo with photographer’s ID/watermark will be disqualified
- All works will be judged by APG members’ votes at the meeting
- Only one prize will be awarded per member (the highest award)
- You cannot vote for your own image(s)
First prize $150, 2nd $100, two Honorable Mentions awarding $50 each.
There will also be a new prize category: “WOW!” awarding one $50 prize. Wow is an image which stops you because it is unusual or otherwise noteworthy without the benefit of manipulation. It can be a grab shot or one where patience won, or took special preparation and the image succeeds.