Upcoming Contests and Notifications
- APG January Meeting will be our photo contest with cash prizes. You must pay for 2017 in order to participate. Arrive by 6:30 in order to pay and to fill out your entry form. More info coming at December’s potluck dinner and in January’s email.
- April 2017 we will be having a show at the Oconee County Library. Start thinking about what you would like to show now. Depending on the number of paid members submitting work we will be able to show 1-2 pieces each.
- 2017 Eatonton-Putnam Arts Foundation 8th Annual Photography Contest & Exhibition. Entry fees benefit the Eatonton-Putnam Arts Foundation. All info can be found here. Images will be accepted from Jan 20 – Jan27, 2017 and can be mailed in. APG members have won top prize in three of the last four years so let’s keep up the good showing.
Amateur: Photography is strictly a hobby. Photographers use basic to advanced cameras or image editing software. They do not earn any income from photography based activities. These photographers have not won more than 3 ribbons (1st-4th place) in the 2016 Plaza Arts Center Photo Contest or Best in Show Award in any Plaza Arts Center Photo Contests. Amateurs may enter in the Advanced Division if they choose to.
Advanced: Photographers have had additional experience beyond basic amateur photography. They may earn some income from the sale or publication of images and other photography related activities. They may have won a Best in Show Award in any Plaza Arts Center Photo Contests or 4 or more ribbons in the 2016 Plaza Arts Center Photo Contest.
Junior: Photographers are under 18 years of age at photo submission time. They may enter any photo with no regard to categories. See entry fee information under Entry Instructions.
Entry: Entries will be accepted January 21 – January 27. NO ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED AFTER JANUARY 27. Allow plenty of time for mailed entries to arrive before the deadline or they will not be accepted.
Category Ribbons – Ribbons will be awarded to 1st, 2nd, 3rd place winners in each category.
Best in Show Awards – Best in Show Awards will be presented to Amateur and Advanced Photographers and each will receive ribbons and cash prizes.
Best in Show Awards:
Best in Show – $150 cash award and ribbon
2nd in Show -$125 cash award and ribbon
3rd in Show – $100 cash award and ribbon
- Thomas Struth Exhibit: An exhibit of photographs by German photographer Thomas Struth will be on display at the High Museum in Atlanta until January 8. Struth is celebrated for his innovations in large-scale color photography. /Nature & Politics/ combines Struth’s varied interests—including cityscapes, architecture, portraits, landscapes, and museums—to focus on technology and the manufactured landscape as overarching subjects. B&W prints from influential 1960’s and 70’s photographers Arbus, Avedon, and Winogrand are also on display. More information here.
This is our annual BBQ & Pot Luck dinner for paid members and their guests. This is one of the benefits of joining the group!
- If you have not already signed up then please R.S.V.P. to Judy Glenn (firstname.lastname@example.org) as soon as possible, but no later than December 10th.
- Each paid member is allowed to bring one guest (let Judy know if you are bringing a guest).
- APG will provide meat, drinks, plates, cups, and utensils. Those attending need to bring a side dish and/or dessert.
- No Creative Challenge but please bring your five favorite family-friendly images from 2016 so we can loop them during the dinner. If you are participating, you can bring your photos on a flash drive, or email them ==> the day before the meeting <== to email@example.com. 1024 pixels on the longest side is sufficient. Please, no more than 2048 on the longest side. sRGB color space is fine.
- New last year – If you are not yet a 2016 paid member you may pay $10 at the meeting and join us. You still must R.S.V.P. to Judy Glenn by Dec. 10th. This only covers your admission to the pot luck dinner. Everybody will still have to pay $15 in January to cover their 2017 membership and participate in the APG Photo Contest with cash prizes.
- In addition we’ll have our 2ND ANNUAL PHOTO FLEA MARKET/INDOOR YARD SALE: Have some unused photo gear? Convert it to cash for the holidays! At the potluck dinner, we’ll have some tables at the back of the room where you can display your surplus photo gear and offer it for sale to, or swap with, other members. We will have blank price tag stickers at the meeting, or you can create your own before the meeting. Just include your name and asking price on the tag. This is a great opportunity to trade unused items for actual money, and to pick up some bargain items you never knew you needed!