When: Tuesday, January 10, from 7:45-@10 a.m. You can leave when you want!
Why: To photograph beautiful frost flowers. Frost flowers form when the sap inside the white crownbeard plant push through and freeze which forms beautiful ribbons of ice. Temps need to be well below freezing with the right amount of rain.
Where: The State Botanical Garden of Georgia. Meet at the powerline parking lot. View map on their website if you don’t know where this is. Click “visit” then “click here to download our garden map (.pdf)”.
What to bring: Please dress for the very cold weather. It will be 24 degrees that morning. Dress in many layers! Bring your photography gear: camera, several batteries (if you have them), a macro lens if you have one, SD card(s), tripod (if desired). I use a beanbag to steady my camera and a kneeling pad for my knees to keep them from getting wet and cold.
Details: You must have signed the waver on your APG membership form to attend. Judy will have forms for you to sign if you have not signed one yet.
If there is a threat of rain that morning, send Judy Glenn a personal message on Facebook at 6:45 a.m. that morning, and she can let you know if the event is still on.
This Thursday, January 12 from 10am-4pm, KEH Camera will be having a buyback/ sales event at UGA. They are looking for any old equipment you might have that you want to sell and get money to buy new (to you) equipment from them!!
You will get 10% off any purchases you make at this event and 5% more on any equipment they buy from you. Bring anything you have! You never know what it is worth to someone else!!
KEH Camera has served over 1,526,018 photographers since 1979. Today, KEH is the world’s largest online used camera and photography equipment store and they happen to be located right in Atlanta!
The Lamar Dodd School of Art at UGA / Thursday, January 12 / 10am-4pm
2nd Floor Lounge / 270 River Road
- April 2017 we will be having a show at the Oconee County Library. Start thinking about what you would like to show now. Depending on the number of paid members submitting work we will be able to show 1-2 pieces each.
- 2017 Eatonton-Putnam Arts Foundation 8th Annual Photography Contest & Exhibition. Entry fees benefit the Eatonton-Putnam Arts Foundation. All info can be found here. Images will be accepted from Jan 20 – Jan 27, 2017 and can be mailed in. APG members have won top prize in three of the last four years so let’s keep up the good showing.
Amateur: Photography is strictly a hobby. Photographers use basic to advanced cameras or image editing software. They do not earn any income from photography based activities. These photographers have not won more than 3 ribbons (1st-4th place) in the 2016 Plaza Arts Center Photo Contest or Best in Show Award in any Plaza Arts Center Photo Contests. Amateurs may enter in the Advanced Division if they choose to.
Advanced: Photographers have had additional experience beyond basic amateur photography. They may earn some income from the sale or publication of images and other photography related activities. They may have won a Best in Show Award in any Plaza Arts Center Photo Contests or 4 or more ribbons in the 2016 Plaza Arts Center Photo Contest.
Junior: Photographers are under 18 years of age at photo submission time. They may enter any photo with no regard to categories. See entry fee information under Entry Instructions.
Entry: Entries will be accepted Jan 21 – Jan 27. NO ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED AFTER JAN 27. Allow plenty of time for mailed entries to arrive before the deadline or they will not be accepted.
Category Ribbons – Ribbons will be awarded to 1st, 2nd, 3rd place winners in each category.
Best in Show Awards – Best in Show Awards will be presented to Amateur and Advanced Photographers and each will receive ribbons and cash prizes.
Best in Show Awards:
Best in Show – $150 cash award and ribbon
2nd in Show -$125 cash award and ribbon
3rd in Show – $100 cash award and ribbon
- 42nd Juried Exhibition at the Lyndon House. Drop off is Jan. 26, 12:30–8:30 pm and Jan. 27, 10 am–4 pm. More info here.
- Fine Art Photography Exhibit “Artistic Reality” at the Marietta Cobb Museum of Art, presented by Booth Photography Guild and featuring 18 artists. Opening Reception Saturday January 11, 6:00-8:00pm
Paid Members’ Photo Contest
January meeting is Thursday the 19th from 7-8:30 pm in the Community Room of the Lyndon House. This will be our Fourth Annual Photo Contest with cash prizes. This contest is for APG members who have paid their 2017 dues. Please arrive by 6:30 if you plan on paying your 2017 dues at the meeting.
:: RULES OF THE CONTEST ::
- For members who have paid their 2017 dues.
- One or two printed images allowed per paid member.
- Images must be 5×7 prints or larger (no upper limit), framed, matted, gallery wrap, metal print with mount, printed with white border around the image, or just tacked on to a mat – anything that visually separates the print from the table.
- Printed images are brought to the meeting and taken home at the end of the meeting – images cannot be stored for later pick up.
- If you cannot attend, a friend can bring your images on your behalf and will be given the prize money to give to you if you win.
- Images can be recent or older, but must be taken by the member.
- Images must NOT have been juror accepted in ANY show, anywhere. Images presented at a gallery or market for sale, or APG shows, or shown at an APG meeting are acceptable.
- If photographer’s name/watermark appears on the image, mat, or frame IT WILL BE DISQUALIFIED. You will be allowed to cover it up with a post-it® note, etc, but it must be completely and opaquely covered.
- “Wow” is an image which stops you because it is unusual or otherwise noteworthy. It can be a grab shot or one where patience won, or took special preparation and the image succeeds. Heavily manipulated images count.
- Jurors will be APG members present at the meeting.
- Cash awards will be presented at the meeting. Only one cash prize per member. If you win the point count for more than one prize, the lower of the two prizes will revert down to the work with the next highest point count.
- Winning entries will be digitally photographed and projected on the screen for Q&A and comments.
IF RULES FOLLOWED
FIRST PRIZE :: $150
SECOND PRIZE :: $100
HONORABLE MENTION (2) :: $50
WOW! :: $50